Friday, April 29, 2016

Conversational ASSumptions: Mental Galapagos Islands













 As we all know, people are unique in many ways. 

The unfortunate aspect about much of our human interactions is that we perceive, treat and converse with people as if they internally operate in the same ways in which we internally operate.  We also assume that their observable external behaviors and language are underpinned by the same internal constructs in which we would imagine performing those same external behaviors and language.  

We are often not consciously aware of the assumptions we make. . . projecting our perceived parallel internal states and emotions onto our observations of external other. This “comparing of people’s outsides to our insides” is a fundamental flaw in communication, though it doesn’t have to be with an expanded awareness of it. 

Another flaw in communication leading to decreased connection and increased friction is that we make perceptions and judgments of other based on one or two shared items provided by the communicator.  We use these one or two shared items to paint an entire picture. In our minds, we use a metaphorical "two colors" to paint an entire picture, not realizing there are many other colors on the internal palate of "other."

Imagine a finished metaphorical painting, or mental picture consisting of orange and yellow.  How different would that finished painting  look in comparison to a  (mental) picture with orange, yellow, blue, green and purple.  We often fail to see other's internal colors of the bigger picture's pallette, because we limit our visions and full scope of the true person based on the 2 color assumption  principle. 

 I’ll provide two specific examples of “conversational ASSumptions” which can ultimately lead to ego hurt and further distancing in any relationship if they are not diagnosed and ameliorated in a quick amount of time.  Similar to a car that has a funny sound and or vibration . . .  .if not quickly attended to, the problem can become much worse and in some cases cause a lot of damage such as in the break pad giving way to rotor damage or failure to change the oil leading to engine deterioration etc.

 I was at dinner the other night with a friend.  He made a statement, which led me to believe that an assumption had been made  . . .so I addressed the assumption, he apologized and we were able to move forward. 

The assumption he made was that I dialogued at the same speed and tempo with the daughter whom I raised for 9 years as the speed and tempo in which I dialogued with him.  He speculated that this speed and tempo might have made it difficult for her to “track me.” 

This gentleman hadn’t see the daughter and me ever interact in person.  This fact presents the idea that much of our thoughts and awareness of “other” when outside of our individual fields of shared vision are based on us making inferences and designing internal cognitive schematic concepts based on what we hear the person sharing and based on how we experience the individual.  This human nature is not beneficial and conducive to creating shared relationships of truly knowing each other.

 I can only speak for myself as I only have the familiarity of being inside my own body and mind.  That stated I do have much professional training behind me and I for sure have more than the “Outliar” 10,000 hours of mastery expertise with individual and interpersonal REALationships.  So I will proceed based on my training of people.  Caveat:  Only a certain percentage of individuals and couples of the population come into therapy, so I only have a sliver of the population.  I do also have friends, family and acquaintances from whom to base some opinions.  OK moving forward. . . .

I want think that many people have core consistent values and beliefs but act very different around different people.  I’ve heard an expression before that some people are “chameleons” with an insinuation that this is a bad thing.

 I don’t believe it to be this simple myself.  Nor do I view varying aspects of chameleon personality to be “multiple personalities” or tricksters in any way. 

I view some people to be more complex in nature with respect to their inner worlds.  I also view being different around different people as a sign of emotional evolution in that certain individuals are like Darwin’s finches. 

They can adapt aspects of their personalities to best fit the environments and/or personalities with whom they are interacting at any given time.  I view this dynamism as an asset. Being able to adjust for different psyches as long as the core values and beliefs remain constant and true to the self helps an individual to relate and connect to many different personality types.  Even though I stated “as long as the core values and beliefs remain constant,” this concept may be a positive thing to change over time and let go of some rigidity.  After-all, the trees that don’t blow in the wind have a tendency to snap, crack and fall over. 

The study of personalities is so complex, yet we treat it as a simple analysis that we can form pictures on based on a few questions in a very short period of time.  It is my humble opinion that much of the social community is flawed, not to mention the therapeutic and psychiatric field as well.  The more assumptions we can decrease, the less flawed our communication will be.

Perhaps there are some people that remain very consistent in terms of their presentation around all people.  Perhaps the personalities they connect with are also very similar in nature.  Maybe they talk about the gym, what’s for dinner, and/or 2 aspects about their daily work.  Maybe non-Darwinian personalities pick their friends and interactions based on the personality foliage in which they are familiar with on their internal mental island?   Nothing wrong with this perse, but when an individual is exposed to “nuts and or barks” of other islands, their beaks simply cannot fulfill their hunger if their beaks are made for fruits.  Therefore, when interacting with other personalities different from self, it is important to not judge the nuts and barks minds by using a fruit shaped beak.  If this beak-food mind analogy is used, the personality combinations will “die.”

Just as the above-mentioned friend made an assumption of me, I too made an assumption of him.  He had been in a long-term sexless marriage.  Based on knowing this fact and based on my perception of his importance to dialogue about establishing a physical relationship and what those parameters would include . . . using my therapeutic training skills, it was easy for me to hypothesize that this facet of his personality, “the need to establish guidelines for operation in terms of relationship definition” hindered his physical connections with people.

I surmised that his need to draw physical lines may have taken the “soma” and spontaneity out of a possible future physical experience (before ever getting there) by bringing people into the cognitive realm of dialogue.  Another hypothesis for his lack of sexual relationship was that his pre-dialoguing may have felt like too much pressure on the receiver to “enforce a sexual relationship,” like making a list of items to get at the store….a drag and ….an anticipated chore. 

Where I went wrong in my hypothesis was that like him, I too made an assumption that he talked the same way with others as he did with me.  Using the Galapagos Islands scenario, my friend’s personality may be very different on different personality islands than his personality when in interaction with me.  Each of us tried to pathologize and blame (with care) the “other” for the problems in life.  This blame factor is quite prevalent in all dynamics and I’m not sure why?  Not only do we limit our hypotheses to how we perceive other interacting with us, but we fail to take into account secondary people’s personalities and even personalities with whom they are influenced by and interact with.  Our understanding of other is way to A-> B.  We are not linear people.

As mentioned above, I am not inside the bodies and minds of others.  Maybe most human beings are not as complex as I think?  Maybe most human beings do not adjust their personality thermostats for external temperature changes? 

Maybe most people are simpletons and they act and talk and think the exact same way as everyone they are around?  Maybe their personalities wear winter parkas even in the summer and spring.  Maybe they have no flex and cannot survive when in interaction with multiple Darwinian personalities so they stay with the people whom they are familiar with on their island eating fruits and not exposing themselves to nuts and bark.

Just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment